After making the frames, I wanted to do more with succulents so I went shopping, looking for sales of course. At a local craft store I found some items marked 40% off and thought “aha, I can do something with that.” By the way, “I’m going to ‘do something’ with that is my standard answer to my husband when he asks what something is for. “I’m going to do something with it.” I don’t know what at the time, but an idea will come. Which is why I hate to have garage sales. Back to the project, here’s some before photos of what I bought:
First, I lined the insides with construction mesh (wire) and added a coat of indoor/outdoor spray paint:
You can see the wire mesh if you look closely. Next, for the upright objects, I lined them with that grassy, sticky, stuff that you can put in a hanging plant holder. I don’t know what it’s called.
I added a few small rocks in the bottom and the soil. I had a couple of those basket liners lying around so I just cut them to fit my objects. On the sides, I used scissors or a pointed skewer to spread some openings in that grassy filler thing in which to insert some plants. You could top off the soil with some tiny small rocks, but I didn’t have any.
As far as that turtle goes, I stared long and hard at it in the store and came up with a plan.
I wish I had chosen a darker green instead of this light, lime green. Oh, well, this fellow is going to be an inverted planter.
I lined it with mesh and that hanging basket thing and added dirt. I actually added, and watered, and added more dirt to it than this picture shows. I also cut a bottom out of thin plywood. I couldn’t make a pattern because the legs were in the way so I kind of outlined it and then chipped away with a Dremel saw tool until I got it to fit. Then I drilled drainage holes.
Then I just wired the bottom to the turtle, flipped it over and added plants. Again, I had to cut or wiggle the liner apart to make room for roots.
And there we go. I have a few gaps because I ran out of plants, but I can add some more later or leave it for the others to have room to grow. Now I don’t know if the dirt is going to compact down and leave the top plants with roots out of the soil and I don’t know how well the water is going to get down in there when sprinkled from the top. But, I’ll keep an eye on them and if it doesn’t work then I’ll take them out and DO SOMETHING else with the turtle. I made these about two weeks ago, so I’ll update in the future.
Since I think these turned out pretty well, I’ll be keeping my eyes open for other little objects that can be used like this.