Well this was an interesting project. Having done it once now, IF I ever do it again I’ll have a better idea of how to go about it. For anyone who is interested, here’s how it happened.
Of course I saw cute pictures of blue jean planters and I searched and searched to find instructions. I did find some that involved sewing, but that’s not for me. I remember reading some instructions about filling empty soda bottles with rocks or sand and caulking them together, but of course I could not find those instructions again and I had neglected to bookmark them. Like I said before, I don’t mind a challenge . . .
I used an old pair of my jeans. Good for me, I’ve lost some pounds this year. But, if I do this again, I think I’ll go for some teen or child size pants (although these did give me some room to move my hands around inside hahaha). For this size ladies 14 (short length) I needed three 2-liter bottles for each leg. I filled them with sand because I had sand, and not pebbles. Each bottle of sand weighed about 8 pounds so once they are connected, this isn’t too easy to move around.
I remember reading something about caulking the lid sides together . . . I have no experience with caulk, but that didn’t slow me down. After making a terrible mess I realized that caulking to lids together was never going to work, so I built a support “cage” around the neck of a bottle. I taped it with duct tape (yes, fancy pink zebra stripe is all I had at the time) because when I snipped the wire, I thought the edges might poke holes in the plastic and the last thing I wanted was a sand leak.
Now, back to caulking . . . I caulked the wire to the bottle, the bottle to the tape, the tape to the wire . . .
So in the middle of this mess I see the support cage isn’t going to work for both bottles. Quick, take it down and make another one . . .
Okay, this is going to work. I filled up every empty spot with caulk, set it aside and did two more just like that but with my support cage building skills much improved.
After a while I added more tape to cover up the caulk.
The next day, assuming the caulk was dry, I was handling these legs and felt like they just were not secure enough. So, what seemed like a good idea is only going to get better if multiplied.
So another round of support caging and caulking . . .
By this time I had run out of caulk and tape. All in all I used about 5 tubes of caulk. I used different kinds too because I had been to different stores and robbed my husband’s supply, but they were all more or less for water proofing seals. As that caulk dried, I taped over all of it. I don’t know why. It looked better all sealed up and perhaps this would keeps chunks of caulk from falling out or bugs getting into it. Shrug.
The next day, it felt pretty sturdy so I had to add the third bottle onto each one. Yep, another cage support and more caulk.
Before making a mess with caulk, I made sure the cage was going to fit on both parts.
Once again, I caulk every open space I could see and some I couldn’t, plus the wire to to the bottle and the tape . . . I kind of like caulking.
When that caulk dried, I taped it all up. While this mess was going on I was thinking and thinking about how these were going to be sturdy and held into place. I figured a board with two holes drilled in it would fit over the top lid parts. I figured a little wrongly.
So, the board alone wasn’t enough to keep it steady. So I added a rebar down each leg and taped it. Still wobbly so I added some wire to cage it all in place. Still not great, but getting there. Hey, I still have some caulk left! I didn’t take pics of ever step here because I was wresting with about 48 pounds of wobbliness. NEXT time, rebar and secure that rebar to each leg before trying to get them together. Caulking around that cage through the legs wasn’t as much fun as I’d hoped, but it got done.
Okay so the day was getting long and my patience was getting short so no photos of the next bit, sorry. I pulled up those pants and tried to fit different plant pots in there. Nothing fit right. The pots were too tall and not wide enough or they seemed very unbalanced. So, I used some more flexible chicken wire and just “sewed” it onto the wire that was already there and kind of made a basket in the butt area with a little tummy room. Then I used that basket type stuff that you put in hanging planters (I have got to learn what that’s called) and stuffed it in there and added dirt and plants. DONE.
I put a lot of dirt in one front pocket and put a plant in there, but it’s not doing too well, but the ones in the pants are are doing fine. When I water them, it does look like somebody “wet their pants.” Also, as I’m walking around and doing things, I catch those pants in the corner of my eye and startle myself. So, I think they will also work as added security if anyone ever busts in over my fence.
In this picture, it looks like it’s leaning against the wall, but it’s not. It is fully standing on its own. So far, my dog hasn’t raised his leg to the leg so I think it’s going to be just fine. I see there’s room for more . . .
P.S. In looking this over, I forgot to talk about the FEET. Yeah, well, I was going to put boots on the bottom but the pair I had donated for this were just too small and not steady enough. I even cut down the backs and they were still too small (size 6 ladies). So, I glued the backs back together and used it for another project and I’ll be on the look out for larger old boots that don’t cost much of anything. For now I just pretend that my torso-less friend has her feet buried in the dirt like she’s at the beach or something.